IDEAS Urban Strategy Studio (MSAUD program) Speaker Pool 2021-2022 – Los Angeles, CA, US | Jobs
UCLA Architecture and Urban Design is looking for a speaker to co-teach with the Principal Instructor of the Urban Strategy Studio on the IDEAS campus.
IDEAS is an architectural education research platform that advances research, experimentation, and interdisciplinary collaboration among faculty, students, and industry collaborators to push the boundaries of architectural practice. The program is a one-year post-professional study program that leads to a Master of Science in Architecture and Urban Design (MSAUD). Students work on a dedicated research topic throughout the year to build a continuous and in-depth line of study. IDEAS fills a current void in architectural education by providing a dedicated program and satellite campus for advanced applied research for the future of architecture and urban design.
URBAN STRATEGY STRATEGY STUDIO IDEAS
The world is changing at a very rapid pace. Nowhere is this more visible than in cities. Due to technological advancements, climate change, and social and economic transformations, architects play a central role in developing ideas and tools that will improve the built environment. To deal with these complexities, IDEAS Urban Strategy Studio operates in a multidisciplinary context, engaging with a wide variety of subjects, experts and agencies. As cities become a central site and a substance of all design, students work at different scales to develop a set of analytical and design skills that will shape the cities of the future.
For more information on the workshop, visit:
UCLA is looking to fill a one-year Lecturer position to co-teach this program under the direction and supervision of the Urban Strategy Studio Main Faculty Curriculum. The main responsibility of the lecturer is to co-teach / teach courses that support the research efforts of the lead instructor, developing new seminars to support the research.
Reports to the President of the Department of Architecture and Urban Design
- Under the direction of the head teacher, co-teach the Urban Strategy Studio;
- Under the direction of the head teacher, teach a technology seminar;
- Help develop the studio’s curriculum and teaching plan;
- Prepare and give lectures and tutorials;
- Ment, evaluate and monitor students on their academic progress;
The ideal candidate will have experience teaching top level architecture studios and / or seminars. The primary criteria for this position are a proven design sensitivity and the ability to communicate clearly and critically with students and faculty. This position requires in-depth knowledge in a variety of digital modeling, animation and manufacturing software. The studio will focus on prototyping, 3D printing and the development of new construction methodologies using the IDEAS robotics lab. Applicants should have a working knowledge of digital manufacturing tools such as CNC milling, 3D printers, and all the usual equipment found in most architecture schools today. The one-year studio requires an awareness of contemporary culture and in particular of urban design trends.
We anticipate that this appointment will be a one-year lecturer position from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022. The first day of teaching will be September 23, 2021.
The minimum requirements include:
- Higher diploma (M. Arch or equivalent) in architecture
- 3 years of experience teaching design
- Training in architecture and / or urban design
- Advanced knowledge in digital modeling and animation (Maya, Rhino, Grasshopper)
- Experience in the use of robotics in the field of architecture
- Advanced knowledge of game engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine
- Advanced knowledge of Cinema4D, or equivalent
To ensure consideration, please submit your applications using the university’s application tool at: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF06550.
Application to include:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Statement of past and / or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching and / or service. To learn more about how UCLA views contributions to equity, diversity and inclusion, please see our Example orientation for applicants and related EDI Statements FAQs document.
- Letter of Intent
- Sample work in PDF format with additional links to relevant videos and web content
- Three references (CONTACT INFORMATION ONLY) who can provide an informed assessment of your qualifications.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or status. protected veteran. For the full University of California Non-Discrimination and Affirmative Action Policy, see: UC Non-Discrimination and Affirmative Action Policy.
Apply link: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF06550
Help contact: [email protected]